Good friday/Easter Sun food

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Good friday/Easter Sun food

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 am

feral wrote:Peeling prawns is the worst job lol, they smell so much...plus I end up eating most of them, even if they're meant to go into a dish. I always buy the aussie ones don't like the ones from china/thailand, god knows where they've been.

Mate you worked for them they are yours buddy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rumi on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

peace wrote:Was an article in the paper Rumi; that said the Able Tasman - now reverted back to maguiris; was headed out of Australian waters, after it's last failed attempt at becoming a factory ship.
It will probably turn another third world nation's seas, to a wet desert- if there is any left; that haven't been- apart from Australias.

Good news for us, for the time being. Very bad news for wherever they drop anchor next.

They were going to deplete our fish stocks to sell back to West Africa, after having depleted their fish stocks already. Bizarre they were allowed anywhere near Australia to begin with!

As for Easter, I don't know. I am not in an Easter mood yet.
Rumi
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peace on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:28 pm

much as I like prawns- I have a problem with both home caught and imported ones.
prawns are probably one of the worst species for waste in the fish food chain- so much bye catch, in catching prawns and much destruction to sea bed ecosystems- leading to dead zones , as they are bottom dwellers and scavengers.
Imported ones are grown in ponds- but have to be fed; so food is gathered with fine seine nets, that dont allow anything to escape including tiny fish fingerlings.These catches are ground to fishmeal and fed to the prawns.
A lot of people dont know, that the tuna in farms are not bred either- they are wild catch, that are herded as small fish and put in the rings; then they are fed in there.
These congregations of fish attract sharks.Some sharks manage to leap over the walls into the tuna rings and have to be wrestled out by divers.Feeding the fish in concentrated places, leaves areas of high nutrient waste, that pollutes the surrounding ocean and sea bed.
Was an article in the paper Rumi; that said the Able Tasman - now reverted back to maguiris; was headed out of Australian waters, after it's last failed attempt at becoming a factory ship.
It will probably turn another third world nation's seas, to a wet desert- if there is any left; that haven't been- apart from Australias.
Sorry for the intrusion- back to Easter fare.

Do people know the reason for the old edict to eat fish on Friday.? It was because the fishermen were often the poorest of people- so making people eat fish on Friday; couched with the biblical; 'I will make you fishers of men'- helped the fishermen.
Fish was common and inexpensive- unlike today; where it is almost a luxury, that you are being exhorted to buy and with the range of seafood today- it is anything but a denial, to have to eat fish on friday.
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  feral on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Peeling prawns is the worst job lol, they smell so much...plus I end up eating most of them, even if they're meant to go into a dish. I always buy the aussie ones don't like the ones from china/thailand, god knows where they've been.
feral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  frazz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm

just the normal food for us.....but we usually have fish/prawns etc sometime over any given w/end, and youngest g/dtr has dictated that we have the prawns on Fri night when she is here. Gramps said - if ya wanna eat prawns, ya have to learn to peel them - she has tried but after 10mins on 1 prawn - Gramps took over. As we keep saying to her - your Mum was peeling prawns at 3 yrs of age.
frazz
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ticky on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

BigP wrote:
Ticky wrote:if any religious occasion dictates that you eat this or that, or do or dont do this or that, i do the friggin opposite on principle.....its all bollocks.....

Ignorant git..

get stuffed......
Ticky
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BigP on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Ticky wrote:if any religious occasion dictates that you eat this or that, or do or dont do this or that, i do the friggin opposite on principle.....its all bollocks.....

Ignorant git..

Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ticky on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 am

if any religious occasion dictates that you eat this or that, or do or dont do this or that, i do the friggin opposite on principle.....its all bollocks.....
Ticky
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BigP on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 am

Seafood is a big part of kiwi culture.. given the country is long and narrow, 99% of the population dont live to far from the ocean,

Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hicc's on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 am

We dont do the easter food stuff here either... Well apart from the chocolate. Very Happy

Dont like seafood at all... icky

hicc's

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodas Missus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 am

Not being religious Easter doesn't mean anything to me, so we usually have steak or something on the BBQ. Just as well really since I don't eat seafood. I did try some of Swampy's fish a while back when we went out and it wasn't too bad but I don't think I could eat more than a couple of bites. I think the creamy lemon butter sauce helped minimise the fishy taste so it didn't seem too bad.

Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't subscribe to the Good Friday each fish myth.

I say its Home Made Burger Time.

Having said that don't get me wrong, a nice seafood medley wouldn't go astray but more along the lines
of Lobster Mornay, Scallops, Oysters Mornay and Prawns - Yummy.

Back to top Go down

Post  feral on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Bringing this up for easter.

Got lots of choc eggs today, having sun lunch at our place next week, going to organise a big hunt for the kiddies.

My mrs got lots of ingredients for baking biscuits on thurs, I think she better hide them from me. Lol.

Going to have prawns and some noodles on Fri, might do some spring rolls and have a asian theme and then some roast pork and chicken on sun with all the trimmings and then fruit salad and some cakes. God Ive gained a few kgs just typing this out!
feral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Beam on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Never sucked on a prawn not even once ?
Jim Beam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boots on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 am

I don't do seafood...might give the kids fish fingers or something hahah!

Husb won a big tray of little lambies last night so that's what we'll have on the bbq Sunday. No idea what else...

Oh..and hot crossed buns today and all over the weekend.

Wine..naturally Very Happy

Boots
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  daniel on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Well for tomorrow, Scallops, Barramundi, Prawns and Salmon seered in the pan with Chardonnay, Lemon juice, Salt and cracked pepper.

Saturday Roast Pork Dinner Very Happy

That is as far as I am predicting at this stage.

daniel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good friday/Easter Sun food

Post  feral on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Easter doesn't seem to be as big as Xmas food wise,

Fri is about prawns and seafood with hot cross buns...and easter sun would be a roast and salads with lots of desserts, choc eggs and booze.

My inlaws colour eggs tomrw too.

Yourself?
feral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top