The cloud

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The cloud

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

That's right....it's a big have. Our control over our own personal computers is being stripped away and replaced with Tablets where we have no option but to use storage in "the Cloud".....it's BS. It is not secure and it simply lines someones pocket with no guarantee our information is safe....look how long it takes for a brand new Microsoft OS before it is hacked and available free on torrent. As Foxi says...no personal information of any kind should be stored on your computer....hundreds of people who you don't know walk through your computer daily without your permission.

Back to top Go down

Post  foxidrive on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:26 pm

You should never rely on 'the cloud' or any other company to back up your data, and not have a copy and backups yourself.

On reason is that a data centre or two can be burnt down or flooded or be damaged by lightning etc. It might be different if the companies that run the data centre mirror the data in real time over several places around the world, for premium secure data, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

I don't entrust personal data to the cloud either - hackers do their thing for kicks and nowhere publicly accessible is safe.
foxidrive
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peace on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Without looking into it-by calling it the cloud; I had some idea they had somehow found a way to store data in some ethreal place.

But having heard the radio doco ,I am looking for; its just as Steve posted pics of- Banks and banks of cupboards along the wall, in massive sheds---that incidentally use a lot of power in the opperating and companies are looking at ways of minimising the use of power-obstensibly for the environment-but I suspect more for thier profit margin.!

but after listening , I was left with a bigger bother- the advertising is like-'let us store your data and preserve all your precious information for you '-like a bank-'so you dont lose it'.

The problem I see is; not cyber attacks to bring it down-as in the end; these seem to be able to be remedied by someone that bit more clever than the original hacker.

What bothers me; is that the material is still stored in a physical situation and vulnerable to physical attack, that could destroy the contents. No different to deciding to store your house contents in a storage unit , instead of a house so they are safer- then having the units and your contents burned down.

thats aside; from such things as extended data mining-when companies like Amazon, have access to almost all of some people's information.

I realise all these concerns are a reality with the present situation-but with so much information stored in far fewer places-how safe and secure will it all be and who will have access to it in the end and what will happen if access is ever denied for some reason.?
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:41 pm

From my understanding "the Cloud" has been invented by the big wigs of computing to extract more money from the users by selling services that had they a computer with a hard drive it would only be a single charge for the app. The cloud is designed to operate on cell phones and tablets and IPads which don't have their own substantial hard drive so they rely on the cloud...the internet...for all services like image editing and photoshop services and publishing etc because they cannot load those things up on their own devices. I read a while back that they planned phasing out personal desktops with hard drives. Bill Gates has been looking for a way to increase revenue since Vista and Windows 7 canned out sales wise. More people are switching to linux and apple/mac. Windows Seven was split into differing modules and priced appropriately. Microsoft also floated the idea of selling yearly or six monthly licences for their OS and where once upon a time one disk could load on multiple computers they are single use or priced according to how many computers you want to load the OS onto.....it's all a money grab.

Back to top Go down

Post  peace on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:44 am

http://www.theplanetarypost.com/2011/06/cloud-that-hangs-over-cloud-computing.html

being a techno illitterate- while I was still searching; I found this 6 month old blog article intresting- especially as I believe Amazon had to shut thier cloud service down recently or had it shut down, under attack.
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:28 am

If you find the show post a link here.

Most are on youtube these days.

Back to top Go down

Post  peace on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:59 am

that photo reminded me of the banks in the telephone exchange I used to see, when I went to visit my Dad at work and we used to wander through them.
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peace on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:50 am

The program I was listening to-was also talking about the energy needed to run it and where some of it was being stored, which used less energy .

I was only half tuned in and thought I would chase it up to listen to again-sure I wrote it on a piece of paper but...

did bother me a little, that it was really all stored together in certain places-like Greenland-and what would happen if some unforseen accident was to happen and it was all somehow destroyed by some action or deliberately wiped.Can we really be sure, it is failsafe and that the technology wont progress so far in the future;as it has in the past-that it is no longer accessable.

anyways-not for me to bother about-I wont be around by then-so long as technology doesnt decide to somehow also store the decrepit, in some form.

just have to keep looking for that program-it made the explanation so accessable to those of us who are not so technologically literate.
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:00 pm

What will happen is a huge increase in computing power and size(smaller).

Quantum computing theoretically will allow processing of data in the past
if you can get your mind around that.

Operating without net access in say 5 years will seriously impair you if it does
not already.

A small headset will enable full immersion virtual reality which will be more addictive than drugs.
See an old movie called Brain Storm for this concept.

Your car, house, phone, GPS, card charging, shopping will all be connected.

There will be an IPAD or tablet device in every lounge room that will be able to control all
surrounding devices and hook into the Internet for rich media for internal viewing screens
ultimately.

and we will be bombarded by radio communications from every angle frying our brains slowly.

The cloud will be data centres popping up all over the world. It will store everything, all apps, transactions
likes and dislikes and your shopping list and movies. Its simply the internet layered over the top of massive
data centres. That has already started.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

The cloud

Post  peace on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53 am

as a technophobe-I did hear a really great program on this a little while ago and went searching for it to relisten.

As a romantic- I did find it disappointing to have my image of a sort of technogod floating in the skies, collecting all of human knowledge into its huge computer brain to be stored and disgorged as needed-all dashed!!

To find its all stored in huge iron sheds, in banks of big cupboards, neatly set along the walls - is somehow rather deflating!!!

Anyway-still looking for the program but anyone who is technically interested and hasn't read this page I stumbled on; may find some of the predictions that are way above my understanding- of interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16288247
peace
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top