Have some good fun, frazz!
foxidrive
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: two puters, one modem.....

Post  frazz on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 pm

frazz wrote:OKIES Foxi and Steve....dtr plugged a 'blue' cable from modem to g/kids puter and ran the CD that comes with modem and VIOLA internet is up and running....prob is both puters are very sluggish if both on the go...might have to get dtr or someone more puter savvy to read what you both posted....its all gibberish to me...TA VERY MUCHLYxoxo

as I said, Ta muchly, I uploaded a Virus thingo on g/kids puter and things are going

great guns....now me and g/dtr can versus each other in 'Collapsed Blast' together at the same time...xoxo
frazz
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  frazz on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 pm

OKIES Foxi and Steve....dtr plugged a 'blue' cable from modem to g/kids puter and ran the CD that comes with modem and VIOLA internet is up and running....prob is both puters are very sluggish if both on the go...might have to get dtr or someone more puter savvy to read what you both posted....its all gibberish to me...TA VERY MUCHLYxoxo
frazz
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

MSY was there today.

frazz wrote:hey guys/gals, I managed to pick up a pretty good puter for the g/kids....is there a way I can hook it up to my internet? (eg they are on the net the same time as me)

Am on Optus broadband...ta muchly

If your computer has a cable from your PC to the modem.
See where it plugs into the modem and if there is a spare port like the one your computer plugs into.
Now see where that cable plugs into your computer and see if the new computer has one of those plug holes.

If so all you need is a cat5 or cat6 Ethernet cable and you should be good to go.
Just plug the cable between the modem and the new PC and away you go.

If not you can get a $29 switch and 2 cat5 or cat6 Ethernet cables and you unplug your pc from the modem and into the switch
then you plug your two computers into the switch(little box with about ethernet 4 plug holes or ports on it).

Thats what I do as I have heaps.

If you use wireless you will need to get a wirless usb card to allow you to connect to wireless.
If that is the case come back here and we can talk you through it.

Back to top Go down

Post  foxidrive on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:22 am

Wireless or ethernet are the usual options.

Wireless needs a wireless doover in the kids PC and your modem/router needs to have a wireless function. Wireless doovers for a PC are around $40 from MSY and can plug into the USB socket.

Ethernet needs a cable running from the back of the PC to the back of the modem/router. If the kids PC is close by the optus hardware then a cable is the better way to go - around $5 from MSY. You need a straight through ethernet cable by rights but modern routers will work with a crossover ethernet cable too.

An important factor when using wireless is to use wireless encryption and a strong password (in the router and on the PC), so neighbours and people in the street don't use your connection.

WPA2 with AES (which are options for wireless encryption) and a strong password is important (like using the first letter from each of the following words, and is case sensitive)

My first house was at 24 Wally Court, Sydney

and that becomes "Mfhwa2WCS" which is considered to be a good password with upper and lower case and numbers, and not a dictionary word.
Obviously substitute your own address or phrase.

</End of password lecture>

foxidrive
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

two puters, one modem.....

Post  frazz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:52 pm

hey guys/gals, I managed to pick up a pretty good puter for the g/kids....is there a way I can hook it up to my internet? (eg they are on the net the same time as me)

Am on Optus broadband...ta muchly
frazz
Founder
Founder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: